Why Fingerprint Scanners Don’t Work for Time and Attendance
The ability to quickly identify and verify individuals has been a crucial skill in human society, since the start of civilisation. Where previously face-to-face recognition would have sufficed in tribes and small villages, thanks to today’s rapidly growing global population we require more tools to quickly identify who someone is.
In the workplace, the need to identify individuals is particularly important, as it’s often tied to staff attendance, payroll, and workplace security. Throughout the years, various solutions have been used to verify staff attendance from paper time sheets, to the Bundy Clock, to fingerprint and biometric scanners. Despite the best efforts of some die-hard fans, the fingerprint scanner has reached its limit, being surpassed by the electronic time clock.
With so many other solutions available at our fingertips, why are some people so desperately clinging to their fingerprint scanner? Surely we’ve all seen enough spy movies to know fingerprint scanners aren’t foolproof, let alone feasible in today’s day and age where most of the fun comes from trying to fool the system. And yet, it’s something that we still occasionally hear, “why don’t you have fingerprint scanners?”
So to put the debate to rest once and for all, here are three reasons why fingerprint scanners don’t work. And before you start saying, ‘but what about this…” here are three great reasons why the electronic time clock has surpassed the fingerprint scanner.
3 reasons why fingerprint scanners don’t work to track staff attendance
- They’re expensive. No matter which way you look at it, fingerprint scanners are expensive equipment. Despite the fact that the technology has been around for years, the cost of the device still remains relatively high, potentially setting you back a few thousand dollars. In addition to the device, the cost of the integration between the scanner and the corresponding system can be expensive to build. The scanners are delicate and aren’t always built to handle the hundreds of fingerprints pressed onto them throughout their lifetime. Which brings me to my next point…
- They’re unreliable. Unlike your favourite FBI crime-show encryption-grade biometric scanners, workplace fingerprint scanners are notoriously unreliable. In order to correctly identify and record an individual, fingerprint scanners require a clear image or impression of your fingerprint. Fingers that are dirty, greasy, cold or wet for example, often don’t register on the scanner, making it hard to both clock out and verify the individual. Employers who prefer to use fingerprint scanners, do so because they think it’s easier than remembering a passcode. However should the fingerprint scanner fail to register the scan, some systems will request a passcode. Not only is this an additional hassle to staff who are trying simply to clock in or out, but it also opens the window to time theft through buddy clocking.
- Maintenance is a pain. As previously mentioned, fingerprint scanners are not cheap. They’re a costly purchase and are even more expensive to repair or replace when they wear out. Repairing a broken scanner requires a specialised technician and often costly parts. On the occasion that it is easier to replace than repair, users often run into more problems as they are not readily available at your local JB Hi-Fi or electronics outlet. On top of this, users often experience issues around the device’s durability, which lead to additional maintenance costs and ultimately a new device down the track.
Introducing the 21st Century solution
Electronic time clocks are the most robust, user-friendly, and affordable solution to record staff attendance. According to Statista, 38.59 million British people were expected to own a tablet device back in 2017. In 2018, an average of 80% of UK’s population already owns smart devices. Leveraging this statistic, a tablet-based time clock like Tanda can provide an effective and consistent solution to time theft, streamlining your entire payroll process.
3 reasons why electronic time clocks are the market leading solution:
- Affordability. Tablets in their various forms have started to become more commonplace in businesses of all sizes. This is thanks to more core business functions such as POS, inventory, and payment processing, becoming available on tablet devices. This technology is providing business owners with greater mobility to engage with customers, as well as streamlining core business activities in one device. Time Clock tablets are easily accessible, affordable and present a number of additional benefits to a business looking to improve their customer offering.
- Robust and reliable. Thanks to the prevalence of tablet usage, most people are familiar with how to use a tablet and how they should be treated. Tablets are touch-screen based and as such built to handle lots of little fingers pushing and tapping the screen. Tanda’s Time Clock verifies staff attendance through photos and PIN code verification. Which means that unlike a fingerprint scanner, it doesn’t matter if staff have dirty or wet fingers, they’ll still be able to clock out the first time around. The timestamp and photo verification also make it quick and easy for managers and business owners to quickly check that the right person has clocked in and out for the correct shift.
- Cloud-based for more options. Using a cloud-based Time Clock solution like Tanda provides users with more options, which enable rather than restrict the user. Software maintenance and upgrades are not required, as they’re done automatically in the system. Devices are easy to replace and interchangeable, and should the system connection be disrupted, all clock in data is stored locally and uploaded to the cloud later. In addition to this, as a backup, users can access the Time Clock app through a browser on a desktop. Using a cloud solution to track staff attendance provides unparalleled opportunities to streamline additional business administration tasks, as well as providing greater insight into labour costs, staff punctuality, and staff engagement.
Workplaces are busy places, and managers have much better things to spend their time on than trying to get the fingerprint scanner to work. Using electronic Time Clocks to track employee attendance allows staff to clock in quickly and efficiently, so that they can get out of the backroom and working in your business. Because at the end of the day, you need a system that is affordable, reliable, and accessible, so that you can get on with paying staff and focusing on your business.
Curious to know more about a Cloud-based device that can help you track time and attendance better? Book your FREE demo with Tanda today.
Product Updates |
Tanda hits 1 million clock ins!
Tanda has ticked over to 1 million clock-ins! That is a lot of people showing up for work. And though we may gripe and grumble about the daily grind, one million clock-ins is something we want you to celebrate with the whole team at Tanda. Tanda has been here to help you. We have helped you make payroll simple and easy. We have helped you make time theft and wasted hours of figuring out award rates a thing of the past. But today Tanda wants to acknowledge someone else in this ever-growing time and attendance tool. We want to focus on YOU. One million clock-ins on our successful cloud-based software might seem like an intangible concept. Instead, we’d like you to think of it more as an in-Tanda-ble concept. That’s people getting up early to clock in so you have your morning coffee. That’s childcare workers all over Australia clocking in to make sure your children get the best start in early learning. That’s certified companies like Subway, Nike and Telstra moving forward in the constantly changing systems of business, time and attendance. But more importantly in many ways, that’s small businesses and the backbone of Australian industries moving forward with them too. Tanda ensures no one gets left behind, and no time or attendance goes amiss for those 1 million of you who have clocked in. Though we can’t celebrate this achievement with each and everyone of you in your office, restaurant, childcare centre, hotel or whatever space it is you run your business in, we can still thank you all here from Tanda HQ. This video isn’t much, but its a small demonstration of how excited we are for all of you. Keep up to date with more exciting news from Tanda by heading to our Facebook page and giving us the old thumbs up or follow us on Twitter and LinkedIn for more surprises to come.
Product Updates |
Introducing the New Tanda Time Clock App!
We are very excited to announce that a brand new Time clock app is here, packed with new features, more stability and a much more user-friendly design. The Time clock is a core part of Tanda and it is key to making sure you can accurately track your staff attendance. Tanda’s Time Clock app live streams employee clock ins, making it easy to track employee time and attendance. All data is stored in the system, and transferred automatically to timesheets, so you’ve always got a record of when staff are working. Since we first released the Time clock app, we have received feedback for improvements and new feature ideas! We have taken all of this feedback on-board and built a brand new app that we know you will love. What’s new? A refreshed modern design A simple and intuitive interface More guidance for users Now works on iPads Current and upcoming shift information displayed upon clock-in / out Staff can submit leave and unavailability right through the app (optional feature) Download the Time Clock app Visit the Time Clock page for more information.
Feature Updates Product Updates US Tanda |
Tanda Time Clock Now Available for the iPhone
We at Tanda are excited to let you know that our Time Clock application is now available for the iPhone. This new version adds on our existing Android, iPad, and desktop time clocks. And just like those, this has the same set of features. It lets staff clock in with their unique PIN and a selfie. The Tanda Time Clock accurately records employee attendance and compares it with the weekly roster. It also updates the timesheets automatically to the cloud and stores it offline when the device is not connected. This added presence gives added flexibility to businesses currently using our app. You can add it to complement your main time clock, decentralizing clock-ins-and-outs. You can refurbish old iPhones to serve as time clocks, instead of it taking up drawer space. It can also be the backup if, and when, your office’s main Tanda Time Clock is unavailable. Remote employees with iPhones can also use this to record attendance, wherever they may be. Click here to download the Tanda Time Clock for the iPhone. Are you a new user? Signup for free here to use Tanda to track time and attendance for your business, and so much more.